Welcome one and all- Please leave sanity at the door


A Teenage boy with a passion for all things nerdy! Expect a lot of Doctor Who, Cult/Horror Movies, Literature and Novels, History, Comic Books and random thoughts. Posts published weekly on a Friday evening. DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the items reviewed on this site and i also do not own of the pictures (unless stated so). If you own one of the photos and wish for it to be removed contact me at this adress: Super.pig@live.co.uk. However all of the written work is my own and is protected under copyright law.

Wednesday, 13 October 2010

The Oh-mans: Omen rip-offs

I know I promised another Omen series article so I thought I would do something that hasn’t been done before. Throughout the many years cinema has been going films have been made to purposely rip another film off. Sometimes this can work well, look at the hammer movie The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and its immediate sequel The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), I’d suffer the good barons revenge over his curse any day. Other times not so great AKA: The Projected Man (1967), surely the only movie to ever rip-off The Curse of the Fly (1965). Now to tie in to Film Four’s showing of The Omen trilogy (1976-1981) and my recent review of Damien: Omen 2 (1978), I thought I would concentrate on the rip off’s that franchise (I mean trilogy as you will see later) has suffered. There in no particular order and I’m pretty sure I haven’t got every single one but I hope that there will be some new title’s on here that perhaps you will have never heard of (or wanted to!).


Holocaust 2000 (1977)

The Italians are famous for having made rip-offs of so many great horror movies during the 1970’s (in fact dear old Lenny over at Dancing about Architecture did one on The Night Train Murders (1975) the Last House on the Left (1972) rip-off). It was obvious then that a big blockbuster like The Omen was at some point going to go under the hammer. To be fair though the hammer was padded and the resultant film is not that bad. The plot although basically the same has some nice fresh twists (the Antichrist is grown up) and Kirk Douglas is good even if he does strip naked. Warning: The folowing clip contains a rather gory sequence but also the films attempt to steal The Omen's famous beheading scene.


666: The Child (2006)

For those who do not know, the Asylum is a company that makes its money out of straight to DVD horror and sci-fi rip-offs. When Paranormal Activity (2009) was released The Asylum made Paranormal Entity (2009). So of course when the Omen remake (2006) was Asylum had to do one of their own.

And so from the eternal world of bad movies he rose, Causing critics on either shore, to throw down their pens in anger. The antichrist lived once more....

And he’s called Donald

I mean I’m no script writer but there must have been a better alternative to Damien than Donald, Daniel by any chance? Apparently it’s not the kind of movie you want to hunt out anyway. Supposedly contains bad acting, bad effects and all the bad parts of the original omen lifted and placed in this film. I suppose a nice idea is that the boy is eleven instead of five linking it slightly to Damien: Omen 2 (1978).


666: The Beast (2007)

What’s worse than an Asylum rip off? A sequel to an Asylum rips off. Stealing more from The Final Conflict (1981 and the third film in the Omen series) than the 1976 original, this follows Donald as a grown man. 666: The Beast also seems to nick sections of Omen 2 as in this Donald has no idea that he is the Antichrist. Often called worst than the movie it follows on from (which means it has to be pretty bad) this is probably one to avoid.


Whisper (2007)

Not a straight forward rip-off but the kind of movie that (with a few character name changes and the ending needs changing to) would probably make a good sequel to The Omen remake (2006). In this the young son of a wealthy woman is kidnapped and held ransom; however the tables are soon turned against his kidnappers. Notable for having its evil child able to cause deaths (one on a frozen lake!) and having dogs as his helpers....Not a bad movie though one worth checking out. There was a trailer for this but I thought this fan vid was better.


Omen IV: The Awakening

I bet everybody saw this one coming. Arguably one of the worst sequels ever and the reason why I like to refer to the films as “The Omen Trilogy”. There are three reasons why you should not watch this movie: No Damien, No plot, No continuity. That’s all I’m going to say on the matter, I’m off to watch Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting and fun article. I'm not surprised that nearly all of the films you mentioned are rubbish; British censorship when confronted with children and violence is notoriously conservative. Hence the prosecution (and inprisonment) of the distributor of 'Nightmares in a Damaged Brain' in the 1980s.

    Thanks for the nod to my review of LHOTL and Night Trains (you may want to have a look at my commentory on 'Contamination', and 'Alien' rip-off). But please. Less of the 'dear old Lenny'; I'm still the right side of 30!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry if i offended you! the world seems very different when your only just 16 (once again no offence i just meant the dear old as a phrase)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, contamination, thats a good one lenny! It's an Italian rip off alright, but its one of the more enjoyable ones!

    Im curious about Holocaust 2000, I've been meaning to see for a while now.

    ReplyDelete